PURPOSE OF THIS POLICY
The Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS) program at Colorado State University. allows employees up to 5 hours per month administrative leave to volunteer in any public school district.
The program Volunteers in Public Schools program was developed by Colorado State University Classified Personnel Council in 1995 and is now a permanent program open to all Colorado State employees.
Why does the University support VIPS?
- Because it upholds Colorado State's commitment to support public K-12 schools — a goal that is in the University Strategic Plan and has strong support from the Colorado Legislature.
- It encourages Colorado State staff to get involved with kids and the community, sending the message that our University cares.
- It allows employees to strengthen their skills by taking on projects outside their normal workload — learning by giving back.
How much administrative leave am I allowed for the Volunteers in Public Schools program?
You can be granted up to 1 hour per week of administrative leave to volunteer in the public schools. These hours can be used in a block-time each month or individually. The leave does not accumulate from month to month – no more than 5 hours may be used in a single month.
Can I use this leave for other kinds of volunteer work?
No. The University encourages employees to volunteer their time to worthy organizations, but administrative leave is allowed only for the VIPS program. There are three reasons:
- The State of Colorado allows administrative leave only when it will directly benefit another state agency.
- Most volunteer opportunities in public schools occur during the average work day.
- Supporting K-12 schools is a goal of the University.
Enrolling in VIPS
To enroll in the VIPS program, you must:
- Be an employee of Colorado State University (part-time employees are eligible, but their leave is prorated based on the percentage of their appointment.
- Be performing at a level to merit such leave
- Meet with your supervisor to discuss participation.
- Complete the VIPS Leave Authorization Form.
VIPS administrative leave is processed within the departments as is any other kind of leave.
Print Version: Click Here to Print