PURPOSE OF THIS POLICY
No person owning or having under his/her control any animal, shall permit such animal to be brought upon University property without a leash suitably attached to the animal and with the restraint held by the person with responsibility for such animal. No person shall bring any animal into any University building or tie any dog to any object within the bounds of the University campus. Exceptions include assistance dogs for physically disabled persons, dogs engaged in law enforcement activities, and similar matters.
No person owning or having under his control any animal, shall permit such animal to be brought upon University property without a leash suitably attached to the animal and with the leash held by the person having such animal under control.
No person shall bring any animal into any University building. No person shall ever tie any animal to any University property or other object within the bounds of the University campus.
Exceptions to these prohibitions are:
- Service and Assistance animals for individuals with a disability: see Resources for Disabled Students Guidelines and Residence Hall Policies.
- Dogs engaged in law enforcement activities.
- Animals brought for treatment to University Veterinary Medicine facilities or for University sponsored research.
- Animals being transported provided such animals remain inside a vehicle (including car, truck and trailer) and cause no disturbance such as barking.
- Animals brought to events sponsored by a department of the University or a recognized student organization, provided that approval of the Director of the Student Center or Director of Housing has been received in advance for use of the facilities under their control, or in the case of all other facilities that approval of the Director of Facilities Management has been received in advance.
- The Director of Facilities Management may approve other exceptions.
- For wild animals such as raccoons or bats, or in animal bite situations, please contact Environmental Health Services.
Building Proctors who are made aware of violations within their area of responsibility should contact the violator and explain this policy to them. If the individual continues to violate the policy, the Building Proctor should contact the appropriate office.
To report vicious dogs or in case of animal attack, call 911.
Wild animals, diseased animals: Environmental Health Services (970) 491-6745
Other incidents involving animals on campus, University Police Department (970) 491-6425
Building Proctor Manual
Version 1.01 approved 4/9/2015 by Office of Policy & Compliance and CSU Police Department
Print Version: Click Here to Print