CSU Policy: Food Sales and Concessions

Policy Title: Food Sales and Concessions Category: Public Safety/Risk Management
Owner: Vice President for University Operations Policy ID#: 6-6021-005
Public Health Administrator
Web: http://www.ehs.colostate.edu/WPublicH/Home.aspx
Phone: (970) 491-6121
Original Effective Date: 9/21/2012
Last Major Revision: 9/21/2012
Print Version: Click Here to Print


Improper food handling contributes significantly to the potential for food borne disease outbreaks. The purpose of this Policy is to protect public health by assuring a safe food supply.


Food safety and sanitation laws and regulations apply to all public food service and dispensing on campus, and must be enforced to prevent food-borne illness outbreaks and to maximize public health protection. Business units of the University that are charged with primary responsibility for food service operations must enforce these Rules and Regulations to assure that all food and beverages prepared, served or sold are safe, wholesome and sanitary.

This Policy requires that all individuals and groups who are not otherwise officially responsible for food services operations must seek approval from the Public Health Administrator before serving, selling or offering any food or beverage on campus.


Food service operations are part of the University’s business, and must be adequately coordinated and managed under clear policies and guidelines to avoid conflicts with existing business relationships and other financial risks. Before being approved for development, all food service operations must be reviewed and approved by a committee consisting of (or appointed by) the Executive Director of Housing and Dining Services, the Executive Director of the Lory Student Center, and the Vice President for University Operations.


This Policy applies to all persons on campus and all units of the University.


This Policy applies to Food Service Operations, as defined herein. It does not apply to private functions or gatherings where participants bring food to share (such as a potluck or staff meeting), although other policies may apply to those events (e.g., Lory Student Center policies, Hospitality/Official Function fiscal policies).


Extensively Remodel means any major alteration of an existing configuration in a food establishment which might affect the food operation that results in one or more of the following conditions:

  1. Seating capacity, including service provided anywhere on the premises, is increased by 20 percent or more in either a single construction project or an incremental series of construction activities;
  2. Alterations or revisions involving retail food establishments or related equipment that require a building or construction permit by local building authorities. Routine maintenance, repairs or cosmetic changes shall not be defined as extensive remodeling;
  3. Changes or alterations made in the nonpublic areas that result in a reduction or increase of total space by 25 percent or more; or
  4. The facility's capabilities to handle food and utensils in a sanitary manner have been diminished, creating potentially hazardous conditions.

Food Handler means any person employed or engaged as a volunteer to assist in the preparation, handling, or service of food for human consumption at Colorado State University.

Food Service Operation means any restaurant, café, coffee service, catering service, cart, booth, or other facility, and any event or activity, that involves the preparation, sale or service of food on campus by an individual, business, or organization, including student organizations, that is established on property owned or controlled by the University.

Public Event: All university events that are open to the general public, or to the student body or the campus community generally, are considered public events. An event that is advertised with fliers, banners, newspaper articles, radio or announcements, or by other such means and is open to anyone to attend (with or without pre-registration), regardless of whether or not a fee is charged, is considered a public event and is subject to the requirements of the regulatory authority.

Private Event: University events that are not open to the public, that limit participants to a particular, pre-determined group of people, or that are organized and restricted to a particular university unit, are private events for which health department approval is not required unless food is being prepared on-site and sold to participants.

Temporary Event means a single community event or celebration that operates for a period of time of not more than fourteen (14) consecutive days and may include town celebrations, fairs, and festivals. Temporary events do not include promotional events, regularly scheduled or seasonal athletic events, concerts, flea markets, farmer’s markets that may occur as a seasonal series, or a catered event.

Temporary Food Service Operation means a food service operation that is not part of a regular University food service program such as Housing and Dining Services, Lory Student Center Catering, or similar program, or one that is established on a short-term basis for a Temporary Event.


1.  It is the policy of Colorado State University that all food offered for consumption on campus, whether through a retail restaurant or store, dining hall, or temporary food service operation, should be safe, wholesome and sanitary. In order to protect the health and safety of the campus community, applicable laws and regulations governing food safety must be followed. Unauthorized sales and service of food on campus is strictly prohibited. All food service operations, including temporary food service operations, must comply with the guidelines and procedures contained in this policy as well as in the Colorado Retail Food Rules and Regulations.

2.  The University is under no obligation to allow any non-affiliated vendor to offer food or beverage for sale, or to otherwise serve or provide food and beverages on campus. Campus units do not have the authority to approve food sales and service independently of this policy.

3.   Sponsors of events held on campus, including conferences, are not authorized to bring food to the event for consumption by their members, the public, or invited guests. While individuals are always welcome to bring their own food for personal consumption, group organizers may not provide food storage or preparation equipment as part of the event.

4.  All non-campus food vendors must have a current Colorado Retail Food License. If a food vendor, with the exception of mobile units, has a license from a different county, then an application must be submitted for licensure by Larimer County. Only non-campus food vendors in good standing with their respective local health authority will be considered. All non-campus food vendors must be sponsored by a university-recognized organization/event.


1.  Responsibility and Authority for Licensing and Monitoring Food Service Operations: The Department of Environmental Health Services and the Public Health Administrator shall enforce these and other safe food handling requirements, whether or not specified in applicable governmental regulations, and shall annually publish a guide to safe food handling methods. EHS provides procedures, forms and requirements for temporary food service operations on campus.

2.  All food offered for sale or otherwise served on campus must be obtained from recognized commercial sources or prepared and served by a University-owned or leased food service operation.

3.  All food service operations, including temporary food service operations, must be pre-approved by the University Public Health Administrator and must be operated in accordance with the rules and procedures prescribed by the Department of Environmental Health Services, as well as with orders for correcting deficiencies that are issued by the Public Health Administrator. Food service operations are subject to monitoring at all times. The Public Health Administrator shall have the authority to immediately suspend any food service operation, remove food that is suspected of being tainted or unsanitary, require food service operations to implement and/or follow specific methods of food handling, preparation and service, order any food handler to cease work, and/or require that a food service operation be closed until sanitary food handling measures are restored.

4.  All proposals to establish new food service operations, or to extensively remodel an existing food service operation, must be reviewed and approved by a committee consisting of the Executive Director of Housing and Dining Services, the Executive Director of the Lory Student Center, and the Vice President for University Operations. Menu changes for food service operations in the Lory Student Center shall be reviewed and approved by the LSC Business Services Director.

5.  For all public events at which food is to be sold or served, the sponsor or coordinator must submit a CSU TEMPORARY FOOD EVENT APPLICATION and EVENT COORDINATOR APPLICATION to the Public Health Administrator in Environmental Health Services at least 14 days prior to the event date.


Failure to comply with this Policy may result in disciplinary action under applicable University policies, immediate suspension or termination of operations, suspension or revocation of an existing license, removal from campus, and/or civil liability. Contact the Public Health Administrator before engaging in any food service operations to assure that applicable requirements are understood and can be followed.


Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Consumer Protection Division, State Board of Health, Colorado Retail Food Establishment Rules And Regulations (6 CCR 1010-2)

CSU Building Proctor Manual, Scheduling University Space/Special Events, p.21; Soliciting, p.72

C.R.S. §§ 25-1.5-104(1)(g), 25-1-108(1)(c)(l), 25-4-1604, 25-4-1605, 25-4-1607, 25-5-420


The following website forms may be required and/or used for your reference. Please go to the website and click on publications.



Approved by Amy Parsons, September 21, 2012


Print Version: Click Here to Print

csu ramhead logo

The CSU Policy Library is maintained by the Office of Policy and Compliance