Policies of Colorado State University
|Policy Title: Smoking||Category: Administration|
|Owner: Vice President for University Operations||Policy ID#: 5-6030-007|
|Original Effective Date: 4/7/2015
Last Major Revision: 1/31/2017
PURPOSE OF THIS POLICY
The purpose of this Policy is to create and maintain an environmental quality which sustains and enhances the general health and well-being of faculty, staff, students, and visitors of the university.
APPLICATION OF THIS POLICY
This policy applies to all persons while on property owned or under the control of the university.
EXEMPTIONS FROM THIS POLICY
This policy does not apply to:
- Tobacco or other smoking products used as the subject matter of a bona fide research project approved by the Vice President for Research or designate, as appropriate; and
- Ceremonial use of tobacco in connection with the practice of cultural activities by American Indians, as provided by the American Indian Religious Freedom Act, 42 U.S.C sections 1996 and 1996a, allowing for the use of ceremonial tobacco. All ceremonial use events must be scheduled in advance with Facilities or Environmental Health Services.
DEFINITIONS USED IN THIS POLICY
No Smoking Area: Any area of campus designated as “No Smoking” by the Vice President for University Operations or designee. No Smoking Areas will include, at a minimum:
- The interiors of all University buildings, including parking garages, and in all university owned or leased vehicles.
- Outdoor areas within twenty-five (25) feet of any entrance, passageway, operable window, or ventilation system of any university building.
- Outdoor courtyards and common areas adjacent to or contained within the perimeter of any university residence hall or apartment.
- The outdoor corridor commonly referred to as the Centre Avenue Mall or “academic spine” of the main campus, running North to South from the Engineering Building to the Lake Street Parking Garage.
- The grounds adjacent to the CSU Health and Medical Center, to be completed in spring, 2017.
Smoking: As used in this policy, “smoking” shall mean:
- Carrying or placing of a lighted cigarette or lighted cigar or lighted pipe or any other lighted or electronic smoking equipment (e.g., an e-cigarette, vapor pen, or the like) in one’s mouth for the purpose of inhaling or exhaling smoke or vapor, or blowing smoke rings;
- Placing a lighted cigarette or lighted cigar or lighted pipe or any other lighted or electronic smoking equipment in an ashtray or other receptacle, and allowing smoke to diffuse in the air;
- Carrying or placing a lighted cigarette or lighted cigar or lighted pipe or any other lighted or electronic smoking equipment in one’s hands or any appendage or device and allowing smoke to diffuse in the air; or
- Inhaling or exhaling smoke from a lighted cigarette or lighted cigar or lighted pipe or any other lighted or electronic smoking equipment.
- As used in this policy “smoking” refers to use of all smoking products including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, and other kinds and forms of tobacco prepared in such manner as to be suitable for smoking, e-cigarettes, and other electronic smoking devices. Tobacco also includes cloves, marijuana and any other product used for smoking.
- Smoking is prohibited at all times in designated No Smoking Areas.
- Cigarette ash trays and receptacles are prohibited wherever smoking is prohibited.
COMPLIANCE WITH THIS POLICY
Anyone observing a violation of this policy may approach the person(s) seen smoking and remind them of the policy, so long as this is done in a peaceful manner. Anyone may fill out a complaint form online which may be used to call attention to recurring smoking violations in a particular area. Persons violating this policy may also be removed from university property.
CSU Tobacco Policy website: http://tobaccopolicy.colostate.edu/
Smoking Policy FAQs and map of non-smoking areas: http://tobaccopolicy.colostate.edu/frequently-asked-questions/
Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act, C.R.S. §25-14-201, 25-14-203(7), 25-14-204(1)(j), (cc)
FORMS AND TOOLS
Smoking Complaint Form: http://www.ehs.colostate.edu/WPublicH/SmokeComplaintform.aspx
Approved by Amy Parsons, Vice President for University Operations, November 13, 2012
Revision 2.0 approved by Amy Parsons, Vice President for University Operations, April 7, 2015
Revision 2.01 approved by Lynn Johnson, Vice President for University Operations, January 31, 2017