Policies of Colorado State University
|Policy Title: Advertising in University Media||Category: Administration|
|Owner: Vice President for External Relations||Policy ID#: 5-6025-001|
||Original Effective Date: 1/1/2009
Last Major Revision: 11/9/2016
PURPOSE OF THIS POLICY
Paid advertising opportunities are available for many University publications and media, including (for example) SOURCE, Colorado State Magazine, and University digital signage. Advertising may be available to both CSU entities and affiliates (internal ads) and outside customers such as commercial businesses and non-profits (external ads). Where opportunities are limited, preference will be given to internal advertisements, notices and announcements promoting University events, programs, etc. Advertisements are subject to certain restrictions as noted. The purpose of this policy is to address the types of advertising that may be accepted and explain the conditions and restrictions on advertising.
DEFINITIONS USED IN THIS POLICY
“Advertise” and related terms (e.g., Advertisement”, “Advertising”, “Ad”) means a paid insertion of a commercial message in University media such as newspapers, magazines, online publications, digital signs, and any other official University publications. It does not include non-commercial items such as official University notices, announcements, news stories, and press releases.
“University Media” includes all print and electronic publications and communications of Colorado State University, including, for example, SOURCE, CSU Magazine, CSU Life, and the CSU Visitors Guide. It does not include publications of the Rocky Mountain Student Media Corporation such as the Rocky Mountain Collegian newspaper.
The Division of External Relations will review all requests for advertising placements in University Media and may accept internal and external advertising, subject to the following requirements and restrictions:
Content and Placement
- All advertisements shall be of University or University-related programs or shall be of potential benefit to the University, its students, employees, alumni and/or friends as determined by the University.
- No advertising relating to tobacco, marijuana or other illegal drug use, or tattoo parlors.
- Advertisements relating to the sale or use of alcoholic beverages will be accepted only for University publications that are primarily intended for circulation to employees, alumni, and visitors, rather than students, in the sole discretion of the University. Advertisers are encouraged to use the Rocky Mountain Collegian newspaper, CTV television, KCSU radio, and College Avenue publication, among others, to reach the student population.
- No advertising will be accepted that is deemed at the sole judgment and discretion of the University to be of or containing non-health related sexual content.
- Advertising of a political or religious nature is limited to factual information about a scheduled event.
- Placement and pricing preference shall be given to advertisements and announcements promoting events, programs, etc. for Colorado State University entities.
- Pricing preference may be offered to advertisements promoting businesses owned by Colorado State University alumni.
- Commercial ads that may cause conflict of interest with University programs will be discussed with program directors. Unresolved conflicts may result in ads being refused or pulled. If a commercial placement is pulled by the University for any reason, the sponsor shall be relieved of liability for payment of a pro rata portion of the contract price, calculated by dividing the total number of inserts included in the contract price by the number of inserts that are canceled as a result of the University’s action. Nothing in this section shall permit a sponsor to receive any refund, credit or forgiveness of payment if the sponsor decides to withdraw an insert prior to the deadline for an issue publication.
- All advertising is subject to approval by the Division of External Relations to assure alignment with our brand and institutional values.
To maintain non-profit mailing status, Colorado State Magazine may not carry ads for financial instruments such as credit cards, travel arrangement services, or insurance services.
Outdoor Digital Signs
The University has installed eight large, two–sided, outdoor digital signs located strategically on campus in high-visibility, heavy pedestrian and drive-by corridors. (Signs may be added, removed or relocated by the University from time to time in its sole discretion). The signs, which will normally operate year-round for 16 hours or more (suggested 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.) per day, seven days per week, provide opportunities to reach students, faculty & staff with important information through outdoor messaging on main campus. These signs are intended only for messages relating to official University business, and commercial advertising as managed by the Division of External Relations.
Digital sign advertising is subject to the following requirements and conditions:
- Emergency messaging will take precedence over all other messages, as deemed necessary by the University Public Safety Team.
- All artwork and copy provided by advertiser is subject to approval and may be rejected at the sole discretion of the Division of External Relations.
- Ads must be of University-wide interest.
- Limited availability will be handled on first-come, first-served basis.
- External Relations reserves the right to change schedules without notice to promote mission-critical University events and information.
- Other requirements, terms and conditions as set forth in guidelines and contract documents provided by the Division of External Relations.
Approved January 1, 2009
Revision 1.01 approved by Amy L. Parsons, Vice President for University Operations, March 16, 2015
Revision 2.0 approved by Lynn Johnson, Vice President for University Operations, November 9, 2016